Saturday, December 19, 2015

Stop 3: Moar Dresses!

I found it.

I found the Dahlia by Maggie Sottero/Desiree Hartstock.

We had gone to this shop earlier in the year - unfortunately, I think right around Homecoming season. It was utterly packed, and while I found some nice dresses, there wasn't a lot of attention, it was crowded, and I felt a little neglected by the sales lady.

I called yesterday to see if they had it. The first woman I spoke with couldn't find it, but apparently thought I was trying to buy it. Another lady - an older woman - got on the phone and said it wouldn't be until March and was asking about sizing and stuff, and how they had a 12 in stock at the warehouse. I emphasized again that no, I don't want to buy it yet, I don't even know how it looks on me.

"Oh, well we have that dress here if you want to come in tomorrow and try it on."

So, the original appointment was at 2:30. We were originally going to drop our daughter off at my ex-husband's at 11:30 so she could spend the day with him, have a phone appointment with a coordinator at 1, and then have the appointment immediately after. Thanks to weather and other random things, our day got tipped topsy turvy and didn't quite work out that way!

After dropping our daughter off 2 hours earlier than originally planned, we had brunch with my Maid of Honor and decided to try and get some Christmas shopping done before the appointment. Noon rolls around, I've done as much as I can in the shopping center the bridal shop is in. They said they can get me in now since it's just the one dress and they know exactly what they're looking for and they are sooooo not busy.

I admit, I was hesitant from what I had seen of the dress online. It has little 3D detail flowers on the bodice, with crystal beading. I wasn't sure how I would feel about that Seeing it hanging in front of me, I had even more trepidation. But then I pulled the dress off the hanger, pulled it on (holy crap I fit into a size 8 bridal!), the sales lady zipped it up - and I was stunned.

The detail on the front was perfect. Not only that, but the same detail was on the cuff of the sleeves, and on the back next to the zipper - which is an invisible zip.

The pictures don't do it justice at all, but...

 

What you don't see in the photos is the sparkle. It's subtle, but it's there!

Jerry had decided to do more Christmas shopping while I was trying it on, and walked in while I Was still in the dress.  He was speaking pure gibberish for about 10 minutes.

Every angle has something to look at. Plus, it was even a little big. In a bridal 8!

I must have stood there for a good half an hour staring at myself in the mirror. (Have I ever mentioned how much I hate mirrors?)

Now, here's the kicker. Most bridal salons require a 50% deposit to order the dress, with the remainder due before you pick it up. This salon was no different, plus had absolutely no consideration at all for the fact Jerry is a veteran.

So, I call up the one we visited Monday.

While Jerry was taking photos of me on Monday, a guy - we think he's the owner of the shop - made a joke about his Ranger hat. "Did he earn that hat or did he steal it off of a real man?"

Jerry just smiled while I glared at the guy over my shoulder. "Oh, he earned that shit all right."

By the end of the appointment, he'd offered us a discount due to Jerry being a veteran, as well as easy to make payments. Essentially, not this "designers discontinue dresses all the time"sales pitch you hear everywhere, but more of a "What can we do so you can order the dress you want in a timely manner?"

Basically, to get this dress, we would have to pay $350 down and pay monthly until the dress would be ready for pick up. Just over $100 a month. And with the discount, we'd be paying as much after tax as we would be paying before tax at the other shop.

I'd been looking for this dress for over three months. Despite my misgivings with the online photos, nothing could have prepared me for the perfection of having it actually on my body.

Am I going to say yes?

I already know the answer. I knew the answer from the second I saw the photos of it online. The very first decision regarding our wedding has officially been made!

~*~Valerie~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment